Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Module 1: intro,position,research

Hello. My name is Monica and I am a student at College of the Canyons.This fall is a year of new beginnings for me.It is my first time creating a blog as well as participating in an online class.I look at this class (RTVF-100) as an opportunity to decide whether or not Broadcast Journalism would be my definative career path.So far I have learned a lot about the industry, as mass media is evident in almost all espects of our everyday life.

Although I have never participated as an "active blogger", I have read quite a few blogs and must say that blogs are proving themselves as a new medium for providing general informationa and accounts of daily life.Their newfound popularity is taking jouranlism by storm and I agree that blogging has significantly inpacted the print journalism industy.

In todays day and age we have to remember that the internet is acessible by all walks of life and we must be aware not to take all inforamation that is presented as being credible. Depending on the information you wish to display, blogs can be very effective at reaching a target audience.Although it might not be the best media for CEO's and account executives to broadcast, depending on the audience a blog can be very significant in a business or personal type setting. Blogs tend to be a bit more relaxed, casual, and conversational connecting itself with popular forms of traditional print journalism.Blogging has influenced journalism in many ways. It has provided an alternative form of news reporting contrary to the professional expectations of society as well as allowed people worldwide to provide their opinions in a world where everyone is a publisher.

Links:

-http://bcis.pacificu.edu/journal/2004/02/wall.php

-http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/03-3NRfall/70-74V57N3.pdf

-http://blog.lib.umn.edu/blogosphere/weblog_journalism.html


2 comments:

rebecca said...

I think that blogs are also greatly impacting print journalism. I agree with your point too about blogs and I never thought about it that way. I think that because blogs seem more relaxed and casual, it helps attract more readers. Especially those of the younger generations.

RyanMcCarney said...

I am also new to blogs and find them to be relevant so far. I think they may become more and more useful with time.